The water used to prepare your capsules contains minerals that accumulate inside your Nespresso Vertuo Pop machine; descaling removes these minerals. If left untreated, these minerals can have a negative impact on the temperature and taste of your coffee, as well as the machine’s water flow. Read on to learn more about descaling Nespresso Vertuo Pop machines.
I’ve included step-by-step instructions so you know how to descale Nespresso Vertuo Pop the right way. To start the process, you’ll need a descaling solution kit like one of the ones I review below.
Nespresso Descaling Solution
How often to descale Nespresso Vertuo Pop machines
In addition to weekly cleaning, Nespresso recommends that you descale your Vertuo Pop coffee machine every 3 months or 300 capsules, whichever comes first. If your faucet has “hard water”, meaning it contains a higher level of minerals, you should do this more often. If you’re not sure about the mineral level in your water, you can get an inexpensive water test kit.
Vertuo Pop tracks usage and lets you know when it’s time to descale. The alert will be a flashing orange light that flashes three times. You can still use your machine a few times after this warning light comes on, but it’s best to descale as soon as possible. Have you connected your Vertuo Pop to your phone using bluetooth? In that case, you will also get a descaling alert on your phone.
Why descaling Nespresso Vertuo Pop with vinegar is a bad idea
The Nespresso instructions advise that you should NOT use vinegar when descaling your Vertuo Pop. White vinegar contains 5-8% acetic acid. This particular type of acid can wear down the metal and cause the unit to leak. As a result, using vinegar may void your machine’s warranty. Instead of damaging your machine using vinegar, you can use one of these descaling kits to keep your Nespresso Vertuo Pop. These kits contain safer and more effective types of acids.
Nespresso Vertuo Pop descaling solutions
Nespresso descaling solution
This is the official descaling solution kit manufactured by Nespresso. It is compatible with all models including the Vertuo Pop. Nespresso strongly recommends using this over any other descaler. This lactic acid-based solution will gently remove scale that has built up in your machine. Each pack contains 2 kits, so you’ll have two total uses of it.
Caffenu Eco Descaler
Caffenu’s Eco Descaler is a more affordable descaler that also uses lactic acid like the Nespresso solution. It is also phosphate free. Each pack contains two bottles, which is good for a total of four uses. If you descale every 3 months, that’s a one year supply.
Descaler for Impresa coffee machines
The Impresa descaler is a best-selling descaler for coffee machines. It uses citric and sulfamic acids. Both are smooth on metal and aluminum. One pack contains two bottles, each containing enough solution for two uses.
How to Descale Nespresso Vertuo Pop
Prepare the Vertuo Pop
- Empty the capsule container. Remove the drip tray and empty it.
- Add the solution and clean water to the tank, following the instructions for your solution. If using Nespresso solution, add one packet to 0.5L or 17 fl oz of water.
- Close and lock the machine to turn it on. Let it warm up. When the light stops flashing, heating is finished.
- Open the machine head and empty any used capsules. Close it and leave the lever in the unlocked position facing forward.
Start the descaling cycle
- Press and hold the button for at least 7 seconds to enter descaling mode. The button will flash quickly when ready. You then have 45 seconds to start the next steps in the descaling process.
- Rotate the lever to the left towards the padlock symbol, then unlock by turning to the right. Hold the button in the unlocked position for at least 7 seconds.
- Place a container of at least 34 fl oz under the coffee spout.
- To start descaling, turn the lever to the left to lock the machine. Push the button. It will stop when the first phase is completed.
Run a rinse cycle
- Empty and rinse the water reservoir, drip tray and cup holder.
- Fill the water tank with fresh water. Press the button to rinse.
- When the light stops flashing and stays steady, the process is complete.
- Let it sit and dry for at least 10 minutes.
What to do if the Vertuo Pop orange light stays on after descaling?
The descaling light on your Vertuo Pop should automatically reset if you follow all instructions without interruption. You shouldn’t have to do anything. If the Vertuo Pop descaling light remains on, then it is possible that you have not completed the process correctly. A big mistake people often make is not letting the water tank completely empty during the rinse cycle. Give the machine time to cool down, then try running a descaling cycle again, this time using just water and no solution.